The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

A car crash can leave victims feeling confused, worried, and alone. In this high stress, emotional time, consumers involved in a car accident need to be aware of the steps they should take to ensure they receive proper care for both their health and economic well being. There are some common problems made by victims of an accident that should be avoided.

First when you are the scene of the accident make sure to call the local police. If they ask if you are injured, just inform them you are not sure. Certain injuries such as whiplash or soft tissue injuries often don’t appear until hours later. If you inform the police you were not injured this statement can come back to haunt you.

Second, you must mitigate your damages in the accident. Do not wait to see a doctor or just simply do nothing. Visit an urgent care center or make an appointment to see your family physician. Insurance companies use computer software to evaluate claims. They will reduce the value of your claim if you wait to seek medical attention. Also, if you wait too long an insurance company will argue your injuries were caused by some event other than the accident.

Third, do not be misled by insurance adjusters. They are representing the insurance company and do not have your best interests in mind. You must follow your doctor and attorney’s advice when proceeding in a matter such as this.

Finally, never permit an insurance adjuster to take a recording of your voice. These statements can be used against you. They are often simply looking for you to say something to hurt your case.

An accident can be devastating for all those involved. If you take the time to be well informed in the aftermath, it can run a little more smoothly. Of course, no one wishes an injury upon anyone, but if you should be the victim of an accident don’t hesitate to contact a lawyer to discuss your options.

Comments are closed.

Of Interest