The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

Lawyers who practice injury law are used to hearing clients say, “I’m fully covered”, or “I’ve got full coverage”.   Most really have no idea what this means.   If you’re “fully covered” you’d think you have every possible add on and extra endorsement the company sells, including collision, comprehensive, PIP, towing and rental coverage.   It also implies you’ve purchased the highest possible coverage limit on each.  Actually, “full coverage”  means just the opposite of what it implies.  All it really means is you’ve purchased a policy that fully complies with the state law on how much liability insurance you have to carry to drive.  In Oregon and Washington, that means as little as $25,000.  This isn’t much if you injure someone seriously.  Your personal assets, such as your home and savings, can be at risk.  It also doesn’t necessarily mean you have uninsured motorist coverage.  This coverage protects you if you are injured by another driver who carries little or no insurance.  Your company then acts like they insure the other driver and pay you what you would have received had the other driver been insured.  For some reason, the people who don’t carry insurance or who purchase “full coverage” policies seem to cause more than their share of accidents.  This fact makes uninsured motorist coverage a must.   Pull out your auto policy (something you really should do once in a while) and look at your coverage.  Hopefully you’ll notice you carry uninsured motorist coverage.  If you don’t, call up your agent.  Purchase as much as you can afford.  This is insurance you really can’t afford to leave out of your policy.

Comments are closed.

Of Interest